Saturday, May 22, 2010

Maggie.

"Wow, I guess she couldn't make it to the summer." My mom said this as she lifted my dog up by the legs and tossed her outside.

This was my dream a few nights ago. A horrible, frightening dream. My dog, Maggie, will be turning 15 in July. 15, and I'm terrified. Every day, when she doesn't hear me call her name, I get frightened and rush to see if she is still breathing. I picked her out in the puppy litter. I cradled her. I walked her. I remember the days when we took her to shows and she won first place. I remember looking at her red and white fur and seeing the shape of heart that was embedded into it. I remember the nights that she would take off down our street in Pennsylvania and my mom would have to hop into the car to go get her. Man, she was fast. Maggie. she's my childhood dog. She'll always be my puppy.

She's somewhat blind. She's deaf. But there is nothing wrong with her nose. It makes me smile when she'll get up when she smells steak, but not when we yell her name. She'll vaguely see me going through the fridge, perk up, and head in my direction to see what she can get out of me. She loves peanut butter. She loves dog treats. She loves me. When I pet her, she nips at me. I love that dog and I have to mentally prepare myself for what's to come. I know it's soon.

I love you, Maggie. You're my puppy.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you sweet pea, we had to put down my childhood dog Sarah just last year and it's hard. But you should try not to dwell too much because she might surprise you. Appreciate every moment you have with her because she loves you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am. I'm trying to love on her every chance I get. It's hard NOT to dwell. I'm a dweller. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going through the same thing with my puppy Precious. She'll be 14 this year and she's definitely going blind and deaf and getting tired. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Please share.